Hair Care Routine Steps: A Guide to Simple Hair Care
Do you sometimes wish you were taking better care of your hair, but feel overwhelmed figuring out where to start? Or has your elaborate hair care routine gotten out of control and you’re looking to streamline how many products you use? Either way, we’re here to help you create a simple, minimal hair care routine that could even be key to how to get thicker, healthier looking hair.
This guide will teach you a step-by-step basic hair care routine packed with product recommendations from our Hair Food range. Our Hair Food products use fruit extracts to nourish hair, making it our first 96% natural origin range. These multi-use, multi-benefit offerings also help reduce waste by helping streamline your routine.
What should my hair care routine be?
Getting to know the characteristics of your hair is hair care 101. There are a number of different hair traits you need to take into account before you start deciding on your simple hair care routine, because everyone’s strands have distinct needs. Let’s look at some of the key factors you should consider.
- Texture: Is your hair fine, thick or coarse? The finer your hair, the lighter your ideal product formulas.
- Elasticity: Is your hair stretchy? Low elasticity can make it more difficult for your hair to hold styling, so you may need stronger styling products if you have this hair type.
- Porosity: How much does your hair absorb water or products? High porosity can indicate damaged hair in need of support, while low porosity strands can be more prone to looking oily due to their lack of absorption.
- Density: Do you have lots of hair or a little less? This will affect whether you need volumising products or something to tame your tresses.
- Natural vs processed: Are you sporting your natural colour? Or is your hair lightened or colour treated? Lightened hair can require additional hydration, while colour treated hair can benefit from colour protective formulas.
If you're still not 100% sure what your hair needs, try using our Fructis Finder tool to help you find your perfect product match.
Simple hair care routine steps
No matter your hair type, it turns out that a basic hair care routine can be more than enough to keep your locks looking luscious. Streamline your routine with the simple steps below and cut out the excess.
This first step in your hair routine should centre the focus on your scalp. Thoroughly shampooing your hair helps clear your scalp of any build up including dead skin cells, excess oils and other impurities.
Evenly lather on our Fructis Macadamia Hair Food Shampoo and let the vegan, biodegradable and silicone-free formula help control frizz and revitalise unruly hair. If your hair is more on the colour processed or damaged side, instead use our Fructis Hair Food Shampoo with Papaya, designed to nourish and protect your strands against breakage.
After you've rinsed out all traces of your shampoo, it’s time to nurture your hair with a quality conditioner like our Fructis Macadamia Hair Food Conditioner. The 96% natural formula tames your hair while stimulating your senses with a heavenly scent.
Apply evenly on the lengths and ends of your hair but be sure to avoid your scalp so the hair is not too heavy. Wait for two minutes to allow the smoothing nutrients in the macadamia oil to fully absorb into your hair before rinsing thoroughly. The result? 24-hour anti-frizz properties. Don’t forget to responsibly dispose your shampoo and conditioner bottles when there’re done – they’re fully recyclable.
If your hair is curly, coarse or damaged, tangling might be a big issue for you. Fear not, our Fructis Hair Food Conditioner with Papaya is designed to repair and detangle dry, damaged hair thanks to the enriching powers of papaya extract and coconut.
This 50% recycled plastic bottle contains natural ingredients for revitalised and healthier looking hair in just two minutes.
You could stop there if you're super short on time, but the best hair care routines do make time for a mask once or twice a week.
Try our 98% natural Fructis Hair Food Nourishing Banana Hair Treatment – which can be used three ways to repair damaged hair – as a leave in treatment, hair mask or intense conditioner. If you’re taking the mask route, it only takes one minute to repair your hair and smooth the ends with a formula free of parabens, silicones and artificial colourants.
Drying and Styling
Using a product to protect your hair during drying and styling is important for everyone, but especially for those will coloured or damaged hair. That’s why our Fructis Hair Food Protecting Goji Hair Treatment is designed to protect coloured hair from damage while reviving radiance thanks to vibrancy boosting goji extract. Use this 98% natural three way formula however you like and know your hair will be more protected.
Our best hair care routine tips
What is a good hair care routine if not supported by expert techniques? Here are our top tips for taking care of your hair at home:
- Get regular trips every six weeks. This one requires a trip to the salon, but it will make sure your hair stays so much healthier and easier to manage at home.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water. Hot water can strip the natural oils from hair leaving it more vulnerable to damage.
- Eat a healthy diet full of fresh fruit and veggies plus lots of water to help nourish your hair from the inside out.
- Embrace your natural hair! Minimising processing, letting your hair air dry and taking days off from heat styling with help keep your strands lush and healthy for longer.